Now that I’m a full-time blogger, I get a lot of questions from people about how I make money with a blog. In this podcast, I decided to break it all down and let you guys know just how I’m able to do it.
I also provide some tips for those interested in starting a blog and talk about some of the expenses that come up once your blog really starts to grow.
If you’d like to read a transcript of this podcast, please click here.
- I’m back in LA!
- I’m doing a 100 restaurants in 100 days challenge – I’m definitely going to be exploring Long Beach! Any recommendations? Leave them in the comments or send me a message!
- So far: 22 restaurants! Want to read my review? Check out my personal site, HarryGCampbell.com
- Let’s get to a big question people have: how do I make money with a blog?
- As you know, I quit my job to focus on the blog full-time
- Many parallels to being your own boss, being a full-time blogger, entrepreneur, rideshare driver
- Still a big fan of Stride Health – a company that provides health benefits to independent contractors and freelancers that’s 100% free
- Stride Health helps entrepreneurs figure out the health insurance process – a no-brainer for drivers and entrepreneurs
Is it Even Possible to Make Money From Blogs?
- Majority of blogs aren’t making any income at all
- I took a risk to make this blog full-time, but I saw potential down the road
- There are opportunities to turn blogging into (somewhat) a passive income
- So why do it? People blog because they’re passionate about the topic – they’re not in it to make money first
- If you have a passion for a certain topic, blogging is a great way to make yourself an expert and get out your thoughts
- Find something that excites you, something you’re willing to put a lot of your time into. If it has a business opportunity, even better
My History as a Blogger
- This isn’t my first blog – YourPFPro.com was my first blog
- Not the best writer at first, but I was passionate about the topic and still am
- The collaborative nature of blogging is what got me hooked – FinCon conference was a great opportunity for networking and meeting people whose blogs I read
- Secret to blogging success is being able to promote yourself without being spammy
- You have to stand out among everyone else out there
- YourPFPro never killed it, but it did spark my blogging passion and helped me learn a lot about blogging
The Rideshare Guy
- The Rideshare Guy got started after I began driving and had a lot of questions
- I looked out there for resources and advice from reliable sources – it was hard to find a reliable source about ridesharing!
- Started the blog because I was passionate about the topic and knew I could help answer people’s questions
- Being the first in your niche really helps, but you can also be successful by choosing a niche topic that you’re passionate about
- I left my job once this blog started making some money and when I saw the opportunities down the road
Ways I’m Making Money
- Driver referrals is the number one way I make money – Lyft and Uber
- Recently started a partnership with DoorDash
- I don’t sugarcoat things – I give the balanced truth and let you make the decision for yourself. Not trying to sell you anything just to benefit myself, and that’s why this site is so successful
- Consider developing the long-term relationships vs. short-term. Think about the long-term success of your blog
Additional Ways to Monetize
- Google Ads – at first, Google Ads won’t make much money with a small audience, but it does add up with more traffic
- Affiliate partners – like Your Mechanic, Sherpashare, Stride Health
- Insurance Advertisers – advertising on the site
- Amazon affiliate links – you receive a small percentage of any purchase made
- Credit card sign ups
- Create your own product – video course, ebooks, etc.
- Consulting opportunities
- Leveraging opportunities already out there and building networks – ex. writing for Forbes
Keep in Mind Expenses
- You would be surprised by how much running a blog can cost!
- Starting a blog is very affordable – low barrier to entry
- As you receive more traffic, your expenses will inevitably increase (and you may be attacked by out-of-country hackers)
Advice for New Bloggers
- Pick a topic you’re passionate about! Put in a year’s worth of work into your blog and, at the end of the year, make sure you’re still happy writing about that topic
- Be consistent – it’s easy to get pumped up and write a bunch of posts, but you can get burnt out
- Find a niche – this is one of the most important things if you want to make money
- One thing that has helped me a lot is that there isn’t a lot of competition in this niche – has helped me get more advertisers and affiliates
- Just do it. You won’t learn and experience it unless you just go out there and do it.
- You might not get rich blogging, but it’s very worthwhile – especially if you’re passionate about the topic
- It is possible to make some money blogging, and it helps if you can find a profitable niche
- I hope this podcast answered some of your questions! Leave a comment below if you have a question about something I didn’t cover
- Check out the full transcript here
- Questions, comments, or feedback? Send me an email!
- Thanks to everyone leaving us iTunes reviews! Subscribe here to receive new podcasts every 2 weeks
- Sign up for our email list
- Check out our Rideshare Guy app!
- New to rideshare driving?
- Financial Samurai
- The White Coat Investor
- Mr. Money Mustache
- Bogleheads Investing Forum
- Sign up with DoorDash
- Google Ads
- Insurance Advisors in your area
- Credit card information
- Maximum Ridesharing Profits
- Rideshare Guy YouTube
- Uber Man
- LTK Tech
- Check out Stride Health – it’s free to use!
- Get $20 off your first service with YourMechanic with the code ‘RSG15‘
This episode was sponsored by Stride Health, they’re a company that connects self employed workers with health coverage and health care for free! And even if you already have health insurance, once you sign up, you’ll get access to a personal advisor who you can call to get help with all your health care decisions and more. Sign up here to get free access today!
If you’d like to read a transcript of this podcast, please click here
-Harry @ RSG
Latest posts by Harry Campbell (see all)
- January Sign Up Bonuses: New Lyft Payout Structure & More - January 20, 2017
- RSG 2017 Survey Results: Driver Earnings, Satisfaction and Demographics - January 17, 2017
- What is it Like to Drive for Amazon Flex in San Jose, CA? - January 16, 2017