Lyft has really been on top of its driver recruitment game lately by offering huge sign-up bonuses in markets where it really seeks to ramp up driver supply. Lyft isn’t known for big bonuses but if you are an Uber driver that is not on the Lyft platform yet, or just a new driver in general, now is definitely the time to get signed up.
And if you’re on the fence, you should know that once you complete an application you will lock yourself into that bonus level and have 30 days to complete the minimum ride requirement from the date you are activated as a driver.
Right now, Boston has an astronomical bonus of $1000 and this is one of the largest bonuses we’ve ever seen Lyft or even Uber for that matter!
The $750 Double-Sided Sign-Up Bonus is also presently available in Seattle, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Denver, and New York City.
And if you live in Chicago, Portland, Silicon Valley, Las Vegas, or Austin there is a $500 bonus currently available.
If you’re looking for help with the sign-up process, I recently published The Ultimate Guide to Getting Started with Lyft, which will help ensure you get your sign-up bonus and it will walk you through the process of getting signed up.
Some Markets See Lower Sign-Up Bonus.
For those in Dallas and Nashville, the $500 bonus has been lowered to $350. While in other cities the bonus dropped back down to $50 or $100. San Francisco dropped from $500 to $250. San Diego from $250 to $100. This shows that these promotions are not permanent and reflects Lyft’s attempt to meet a certain number of drivers until pulling back what it pays out on bonus amounts.
If you’re not in one of the top bonus cities, there are still some pretty high bonuses out there for the taking. There are actually 5 cities now that are offering $500 bonuses, with 2 others at $350 and 5 cities at $250.
Uber is usually king of sign-up bonuses but lately, Lyft has really been stepping up their game so I would get in on these while they last.
Here’s the full list:
|City of New Driver||Double-Sided Bonus Amount||Ride Requirement in 30 days|
|New York City||$750||100|
The referring driver must:
- Be an existing Lyft driver in good standing at the time of referred applicant’s application and qualification.
- Share their driver referral code with their referrals. Ambassador codes do not apply.
The referred new driver must:
- Start their application to become a Lyft driver during the promotion.
- Input the referring driver’s referral code in the “Referral code” field when originally applying.
- Complete 30 rides within 30 days of being approved as a Lyft driver, unless stated otherwise in the chart above. No more than two rides given to the same passenger will count toward the ride requirement.
- Become approved to be a Lyft driver within 30 days of starting their application.
- Lyft driver eligibility and approval is determined at the sole discretion of Lyft, and is not guaranteed.
- The duration of the review process may vary.
- Participation in this promotion is subject to Lyft’s Terms of Service.
- This promotion runs for a limited time only, and terms and bonus amounts (if any) are subject to change. Cannot be combined with Weekly Guarantee Promotion or New Driver Promotion.
- The bonus amount (if any) is determined by the time and market of the referred new driver’s application, and can vary (for both applicant and referrer) by market. The amounts above reflect current bonus availability and may have been different at the time of the referral and new driver application.
- In Boston, Denver, New York City, Nashville, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. this promotion is limited to the first 1,000 applicants. In Chicago, this promotion is limited to the first 2,000 applicants. In Dallas, this promotions is limited to the first 500 applicants.
Once these requirements are met, both the referring driver and the referred new driver will see the bonus 1-2 direct deposits after the ride requirement is met. You can find an updated list of bonuses by city straight from Lyft’s website.
Lyft is continuing to aggressively recruit drivers in markets where it thinks it needs more drivers after raising 530 million in Series E funding. Much of this is part of Lyft’s strategy to target its funding towards larger markets within the US to slowly fight a grinding battle against an overstretched Uber.
It also appears that upon reaching a certain number of drivers that Lyft is pulling back its bonus to something smaller or more traditional. We saw that in markets like San Francisco, Nashville, Dallas, and Los Angeles that the bonus level dropped which indicates that Lyft is actually using their money wisely while acknowledging the fact that these markets may be too saturated with drivers at the moment.
If you are a driver in Boston you should be making anything with a heartbeat above 65bpm submit an application to Lyft. $1000 is pretty insane for Lyft and I suspect they will lower the amount once they get enough applications.
If you are an Uber driver that still hasn’t signed up for Lyft, right now is really the time to give Lyft a try. Even without the bonus, it’s smart to drive for both and ensure that you have multiple income streams.
If you’d like to sign up with Lyft, please click here to sign up and you’ll ensure that you get the highest bonus available in your city. Note that you must sign up with someone’s referral code in order to be eligible for these sign-up bonuses.
Drivers/potential Lyft drivers, what do you think about Lyft’s newest bonuses? Do you think these will last for a while or is it best to strike while the iron is hot?
Need a car to drive with Uber? Try FAIRCA drivers: Fair is the official vehicle partner for Uber and is a great option for drivers in need of an eligible rideshare vehicle. Click here to sign-up! Not a California driver? Fair has options nationwide, and you can sign up here and get $100 off the start-up fee when you use the code 'RSG100'.
-Harry @ RSG
Latest posts by Harry Campbell (see all)
- Should You Go See Stuber This Weekend? - July 12, 2019
- RSG101: David Zipper on What Data Can do for Cities and Mobility Companies - July 9, 2019
- Lyft Driver Sign Up Bonus - July 9, 2019