Listen to this episode on your phone here.
What if you pulled up your app, requested a ride, and a taxi pulled up? With recent partnerships by Uber, this could become a reality! In this episode, I chat with the President of Flywheel Technologies Hansu Kim about all things taxis. We’ll cover Flywheel, taxi technology and the Flywheel/Uber partnership.
Intro to Hansu Kim
- President of Flywheel Technologies
- Purchased DeSoto Cab – known for its iconic color scheme
- Re-branded to Flywheel
- Many fleets now use Flywheel’s tech
Perception of Taxis and How It’s Changing
- For a while, taxis had a bad reputation
- Not reliable
- That pendulum has swung back in favor of taxis
- Now there aren’t enough taxis in some cities!
Differences Between Rideshare and Taxis
- Some people feel safer in taxis vs rideshare
- More vetting
- Public perception differences
- Some rideshare drivers are doing both – driving taxi and rideshare!
Flywheel and Uber
- Strategic partnership
- Still a taxi ride! With taxi rules and regulations
- Partnership makes a lot of sense!
- Vast majority of drivers are looking forward to this partnership – more business
- Taxi technology development – it’s more complicated than it looks!
- Can’t use subpar tech at this point
- Lead gen
- Insurance costs
RSG033: Hansu Kim On Why Flywheel Is Leading Taxis Into The Future
RSG089: Jay Cradeur on What It’s Like to Drive a Taxi!