If you’d like to read a transcript of this podcast, please click here.
Get 25% off tax prep with H&R BlockH&R Block clients get exceptional value and easy access to expert help throughout the tax preparation process. And now with the ability to upload your prior year’s tax return regardless of the preparer, switching to H&R Block has never been easier.
- Today I’ll be chatting with Matt Brezina of People Protected
- We’ll be talking about the curb issue, find out what protected bike lanes are, and more
- Shoutout to Micromobility Podcast – great podcast if you’re interested in learning more about scooters, bikes. Covers global issues and more.
Intro to Matt Brezina
- Matt Brezina has founded, ran, and exited two ventured-backed companies
- Has invested in 60 companies over the past 12 years
- Early to the micromobility revolution having backed two of the earliest companies, Jump and Spin
- Matt spends his time investing in companies at the intersection of the macro trends of urbanization and electric mobility, co-founder of People Protected
- Grassroots movement to get people aware of bike lanes
- Started People Protected after two women killed in SF while bike riding
- Politics is local – and visual. Goal is to draw attention and get laws changed
- “Green lanes”, “protected lanes” – better names for multi-modal lanes
Relationship with Uber and Lyft
- Started his second company next to Uber/Lyft (they started with around 5 people and so did Matt’s company)
- Uber and Lyft have done some amazing things – ability to get a car whenever you need with the click of a button
- But also a lot of risks – drivers who don’t know the roads very well, roads that are congested
- We’ve transformed how we use our city streets
- Governments are slow to adapt
- CurbFlow – repurposing the streets
- Redefine curb space in busy areas – drivers can be directed to open areas using CurbFlow
- Thanks to Matt for coming on the podcast! Learned a lot about bike lanes and the companies he works with.
- Make sure to follow Matt on Twitter if you want to learn more about People Protected
- Check out the Micromobility Podcast – it’s fascinating, great mobility content if you’re looking for more