I love companies like Postmates, DoorDash and Instacart because time is important to me now! If there’s an opportunity to save 20-30 minutes, sign me up! However, a lot of the news out there describes delivery services as a nightmare: low pay, problems with orders, etc. Is food delivery an illusive proposition? Not according to this episode’s guest!
If you’d like to read a transcript of this podcast, please click here.
Today I’m talking with Chris Baggott, co-founder and CEO of ClusterTruck
- Full-stack delivery company
- Don’t forget to check out one of my favorite podcasts, the Smarter Cars podcast!
- Favorite episode recently was an episode about the transportation landscape + micromobility solutions (check it out below)
Intro to Chris Baggott
- Chris Baggott has been a leader in data-driven software for a long time now
- In 2015, he brought his tech background to ClusterTruck
- Delivery-only kitchens
- Goal is to make delivery efficient!
- Software-forward delivery-only kitchen
- Control driver fleet (1099 drivers), software, everything (vertically integrated)
- Operating in two locations in Indianapolis, and one in Denver, Columbus and Kansas City
- Launched in 2016
What Makes ClusterTruck Unique?
Vertically-integrated, don’t work with brands
- Single location that is central to where the food is made, distributed
- Models like GrubHub don’t, can’t work
- Drivers are more important in ClusterTruck model
ClusterTruck + Business Impact
- Actually spend less on driver costs
- Free delivery for customer – but customers have skin in the game, too (have to meet the car and get their food)
- Single point system (less time spent driving around, wasting time)
- Not a cloud kitchen!
- Kroger partnership
Biggest Challenges for Current Delivery System
- The driver piece!
- Take the worst job in the gig economy and make it the best
- Customer loyalty
- Training-aspect for customers, but it’s worked for ClusterTruck
Future of Delivery Service
- Who is making money in the current delivery system we have now?
- Not drivers, not companies
- Inefficient system
- ClusterTruck is the only profitable model in delivery right now
- Big thanks to Chris for coming on the episode! If you’re in one of the cities where ClusterTruck is available, give it a shot as either a customer or courier!
- Would love to hear about your experience – reach out to me!