Not owning a car can feel problematic for those wanting to drive for Uber, but the Uber Rental Car Program makes it possible.
It’s easy to start, but you must first be an approved Uber driver. Once you’re on the platform, you can utilize partner rental car companies that will rent you a car for use as an Uber driver.
What Is the Uber Rental Car Program?
Uber entered the rental car business soon after the pandemic and started to increase its offerings by offering its rideshare drivers a chance to rent cars.
This has opened up the possibility for more people to make money driving for Uber, including those who don’t have a car or don’t want to use their car for ridesharing.
Drivers at least 21 can rent a car through Uber to make money as an Uber driver with a few clicks on their phone. You can have the car brought to you, or you can pick it up at a partner location.
Benefits of Uber Rental Cars
There are many benefits of renting a car from Uber for your rideshare business, including the following:
- Convenience: You can rent a car from the nearest location and drop it off at the same location. You have many options, and renting the car using your phone takes only a few minutes.
- Flexibility: The Uber Rental Car program is very flexible. You can book a car last minute, even the day you need one, or book weeks or months in advance. You can also cancel at any time and for any reason without cost.
- Flexible Contracts: You can extend your contract easily and as many as three times during your rental period. You can extend it every seven days, but you must return the car every 28 days and start a new rental contract if you still need one.
- Using Uber Valet: If you don’t have the time, don’t want to stand in a car rental line, or don’t have transportation to get there, consider Uber Valet. With this service, they bring the car to you, whether at home or work. The service has a small cost, but consider the time you’ll save. They can also pick the car up from your location at the end of your rental period, making it even more convenient.
- Save On Gas Money: Depending on your area, you may have the option to rent a hybrid or other electric vehicle. This helps you save money on gas and increases your earnings.
- Safety: Uber is dedicated to driver and passenger safety. They abide by all COVID-19 regulations in areas that still have them and subject all rental cars to certain health and safety standards.
- Quick and Effortless Credit Approvals: Uber’s rental partners, including Hertz, have flexible approval requirements. For example, they don’t disclose the minimum credit score a renter must have. Still, they advertise that drivers get approved with low credit scores, increasing your chances of approval, no matter your credit situation.
- Car Availability and Options: Uber works with many partners to rent cars. You’ll have the option to drive cars you’re familiar with and to rent from companies you recognize. You can choose the category you prefer, whether it be electric, Uber Comfort eligible, compact, or mid-size.
How the Uber Rental Car Program Works
The Uber Rental Car Program is simple to use and understand.
1. Book Your New Ride
Visit the Uber Rent website, or click ‘Rent’ in your Uber app. You choose the car, where you’ll pick up the car (or use Uber Valet), and when you’ll pay. If you pay upfront, you’ll save money versus paying at the counter.
2. Pick up the Vehicle
If you pick up your vehicle at the rental counter, arrive at your reserved time to ensure you get the car you ordered. You’ll need your driver’s license and credit card to put down on the rental.
If you take an Uber ride to pick up the vehicle, Uber will give you a $10 credit on the cost of your ride.
You can also choose Uber Valet and have the car brought to you for a small fee.
3. Return the Vehicle
You return the vehicle to the same location you picked it up. Return it when your contract ends or request an extension as necessary. You can also choose Uber Valet and have the car picked up and returned for a small fee.
You can extend your contract as necessary but must return the car every 28 days. You return the car to the location you picked it up and must return it with the originally provided paperwork.
The Cost of Using the Uber Rental Car Program
Uber rental cars start at $260/week and include insurance and basic maintenance. The car, rental period, and other add-ons you choose will determine your final cost.
Before accepting an Uber rental, make sure it makes sense, given the potential income you’ll make driving for Uber when you’re available. Don’t forget you must also include the cost of gas, parking, and tolls, if applicable.
Being Protected With Uber Rental Insurance
Insurance is one of the largest factors when renting a car to drive for Uber.
Even when you drive your own vehicle, your insurance needs to change. Most insurance companies require you to add on a rideshare rider or have a separate business insurance policy.
However, you have different options when you use the Uber Rental Program.
Do Uber Rentals Come With Rental Insurance?
Most Uber rentals include basic insurance coverage with the rental; however, it’s always best to check with your insurance company to ensure you don’t need more insurance.
For example, Hertz only provides your state’s minimum insurance requirements when you aren’t using the Uber app. When the Uber app is on, Hertz refers to Uber’s coverage, which often isn’t enough.
Is Purchasing Additional Insurance Necessary?
Depending on who you rent the car from and the type of protection you want, you may consider a rider to your personal insurance policy. This ensures you cover all the gaps in coverage and ensures no matter what happens or who is at fault; you are covered.
Partnering Uber Locations and Alternatives
Many well-known rental car companies, including the following companies, partnered with Uber to make it easy to make money as an Uber rideshare driver.
HyreCar is available in all 50 states and is a rental company specifically for gig workers, including Uber and Uber Eats drivers. You choose how long you want to rent the car, can extend the contract as needed, and can even drive for multiple gig-sharing companies at once with the car.
Getaround (a car rental marketplace) and Uber partnered to provide Uber drivers with pre-approved Uber-eligible vehicles. The two apps are connected, and you can rent by the hour to make quick money when you want to offer rideshare.
The cars include unlimited mileage, roadside assistance, and insurance. There are also options to extend your rental with Getaround if needed. The best part is you can lock and unlock the car with your phone, so there aren’t any long rental lines to handle.
Kinto Share’s Uber driver rental program is available in California and Southern Texas. They are working on expanding to other locations. Drivers can rent by hour, day, or week and have transparent costs. Kinto Share has a wide selection of cars, from compact to Uber Comfort-eligible cars. There’s no long-term commitment or membership necessary.
Avis and Uber partnered to provide Uber drivers with easy access to rental cars. You must create an Avis profile and activate your account to rent from Avis. You must be an approved Uber driver must be at least 25 years old to use this program. The rental contract includes unlimited mileage and roadside assistance.
Hertz and Uber work together to provide rental cars for rideshare drivers. You can rent a car in the Uber app by selecting Hertz and the car you want. They require a 7-day reservation, and you pick up the car at your local Hertz.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Uber Rental program is a great way to make money driving for Uber without using your car or if you don’t own a car. Here are some common questions people have about the program.
What does Uber do with cars they no longer rent?
Uber sells cars that are no longer usable as rental cars. They sell them in a marketplace or at dealerships. Buyers can usually get a great deal on the vehicles because of the mileage and use they have.
Is it profitable to own a rental car business?
Owning a rental car business can be profitable, but it depends on your costs. The average rental car price through the Uber Rental Car program is $260/week, but many factors influence it, including the type of car you rent and any add-ons you choose.
To determine if it’s profitable, consider the number of hours you’ll work for Uber and your average earnings. The average Uber driver makes $18.85 an hour. You’d have to drive 13.7 hours just to break even. Any hours above 13.7 goes to your profits. It may not be worth it if you don’t see yourself driving much more than 13.7 hours.
Do drivers lose profit by renting with Uber?
Drivers lose profit by renting with Uber because their costs are much higher. You aren’t paying weekly rental fees when you use your own car. You have other costs, such as basic maintenance and potentially higher insurance costs, but they usually cost much less than $260/week.
However, the flip side is you aren’t putting wear and tear on your car, causing you to replace your car prematurely.
Why did Uber choose to start a rental car program?
Uber started the rental car program to make Uber opportunities more accessible for people. It started during the pandemic when rental car companies sold their fleet because of the drastic drop in travel. The rental companies’ loss was Uber’s gain, which has since helped drivers.
What is the deposit cost to rent a vehicle with Uber?
The deposit to rent a vehicle with Uber depends on your chosen partner. Hertz requires around a $200 security deposit, but Avis doesn’t require one. It also depends on where you live and the type of car you rent.
Are there rental car cancelation penalties?
Each rental company has different cancellation policies. Most don’t charge a penalty, but it’s always worth asking before choosing a company to be sure.
Can I drive a rental for Uber that is not rented through Uber?
No, you must only drive approved rental cars for Uber. If you drive an unapproved car, it could cause you to be deactivated from the Uber platform.
What if Uber rentals are not an option in the area I live?
If you have the option to drive someone else’s car for Uber, you must be listed on the insurance policy, and the car must meet Uber requirements.
Where do I find Uber rental options near me?
To see the Uber rental options near you, click here.
What are the requirements to drive for Uber?
To drive for Uber, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least the minimum age to drive in your city
- Have at least one year of driving experience if you are 25 or older and three years if you are under 25
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Have an Uber-approved vehicle or rental
- Pass a background check
- Provide proof of insurance
Should You Use the Uber Rental Car Program?
If you don’t have a car but live in an area where you can make good money driving for Uber, consider the Uber Rental Car Program. Before doing it, calculate your total costs, including the rental and insurance costs, to make sure it makes sense. If it does, you can make money on the side, even if you don’t own a car.