Uber rideshare is known for being an efficient and affordable way for riders to get from Point A to Point B, with shorter wait times and better rates than a taxi.
But there’s more than one type of Uber ride, like UberX Share, Uber Pet, or Uber Comfort.
If you’re a driver with a newer car, extra legroom, and top reviews, or a passenger who wants the certainty of getting a safe and comfortable ride, then you may want to check out Uber Comfort.
This article will explain what Uber Comfort is, how it works, and the differences between Uber X and Uber Comfort. We’ll go over the different pricing, driver requirements, and how to sign up. And we’ll also cover the most common questions readers have about the different ride types.
What Is UberX?
Uber X, commonly referred to as just Uber, is the app’s flagship service. When people talk about Ubering somewhere or grabbing an Uber, that’s just shorthand for Uber X.
While vehicles must be safe and well-running, these vehicles can be 12 years old or older and may be anything ranging from a base-model sedan to a Mercedes-Benz. There are no minimum requirements for ride fare or travel time.
It’s the most affordable Uber trip for riders. And for drivers, Uber X trips are a steady stream of income. While they pay less, demand is highest for this ride type with more regular earnings than for UberXL, Uber Comfort, or any other ride type.
What Is Uber Comfort?
Uber Comfort is a premium ride that offers passengers a more spacious journey. While it does cost more than an Uber X ride, it’s more of a mid-tier trip.
There are other high-end, more expensive rides, like Uber Black, Uber Select, and UberXL.
Uber Comfort trips are a good option for passengers who want extra legroom at good rates, or who cannot find a luxury Uber ride.
A larger vehicle is required, like a sedan, SUV, or minivan. It must have air conditioning and passenger climate control. Other amenities, like WiFi hotspots or leather seats, are common.
These drivers are well-proven and have a history of providing quality services and safe driving.
UberX vs. Uber Comfort: Availability
Uber X is the rideshare app’s most basic and widely available service. It’s available to riders everywhere Uber has operations, which is in more than 10,000 cities all around the globe.
Uber Comfort Availability
As an upgraded service, Uber Comfort does have more limited availability. It’s available in large and medium-size markets throughout the United States, including Atlanta, Chicago, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Diego, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, and Tucson.
The service is expanding, so if you’re a driver or passenger wanting this service, look for it in the Uber app. When it comes to your city, you’ll see it there.
Beyond the United States, Uber Comfort is available in select markets throughout Canada, South America, Australia, the United Kingdom, and other parts of the globe.
UberX vs. Uber Comfort: Pricing
The pricing model for either trip type is quite similar, but with fares based on total distance traveled, trip time, and any toll roads or surge rates.
Passengers can see the price estimate before they request a specific kind of ride.
An UberX ride is the lowest price among all Uber options. Base fares range from $0.15 to $0.30 per minute depending on your market, or $0.40 to $1.50 per mile from pick-up to final destination drop-off.
Weather, traffic conditions, customer demand, airport zones or other special zones, gas prices, and other factors can impact the rate.
Uber Comfort Pricing
At a slightly higher price point, Uber Comfort offers a guaranteed safe and roomy ride. Similar to Uber X, fares are calculated based on per-mile and per-minute rates.
Typically, an Uber Comfort ride costs about 20% more than a base Uber X trip.
Here are some sample ride option rates to travel roughly 20 miles to an airport in different U.S. markets.
- New York City: 13% more for an Uber Comfort ($111.97 vs. $99.26)
- Portland: 23% more for an Uber Comfort ($64.48 vs. $52.35)
- Austin: 19% more for an Uber Comfort ($34.65 vs. $29.05)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul: 24% more for an Uber Comfort ($29.54 vs $23.57)
UberX vs. Uber Comfort: Driver Requirements
UberX Driver Requirements
There are a few minimum requirements to meet before you can sign up to drive with Uber:
- Meet the minimum age to drive for a rideshare service in your state.
- At least one year of licensed driving experience in the United States, or a minimum of three (3) years for drivers under 25 years old.
- Valid U.S.-based driver’s license.
- Eligible four-door vehicle. Mileage and vehicle age depend on the city, with automobiles as old as 16 years permitted in some areas if it is in good working order.
- Pass a vehicle inspection performed at a Greenlight Hub or by a city-approved inspector.
- Pass a background check for clean driving and criminal record.
- Valid car insurance in the driver’s name that meets minimum state or city requirements.
Uber Comfort Driver Requirements
- Meet the minimum Uber X driving requirements for above for background check, insurance, age, driver’s license, and driving experience.
- Minimum 36 inches of legroom for passengers.
- Newer car, SUV, or passenger van, typically seven (7) years or newer depending on the type of car.
- Meet vehicle make and model requirements for your city.
- Uber experience: At least 100 completed Uber X
- High ratings: Minimum average score of 4.85 stars.
- Maintain the car to a higher standard for cleanliness, in-car comforts, and overall presentation.
UberX vs. Uber Comfort: Types of Vehicles
As we’ve outlined, there are stricter and newer vehicle requirements for Uber Comfort cars vs regular Uber X cars. Here are some commonly approved vehicles for each type of Uber.
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota Prius
- Honda Accord
- Nissan Altima
- Lincoln Town Car
- Nissan Sentra
- Chevrolet Malibu
Uber Comfort Vehicles
- Kia Soul
- Dodge Durango
- Dodge Caravan
- Honda Odyssey
- Toyota Rav4
- Chevy Tahoe
- Subaru Forester
Many Uber X vehicles also qualify for Uber Comfort, including Tesla electric vehicles, four-door trucks, and luxury cars.
UberX vs. Uber Comfort: Advantages
As a driver, there are unique benefits to driving for either service.
- Beginner friendly; good option for drivers new to Uber
- Older vehicles and higher-mileage vehicles can qualify
- Higher demand for UberX rides
- Greater potential for full-time income
Uber Comfort Advantages
- Recognition for great ratings and higher reviews
- Earn higher more money per trip, in base fare and rider tips
- Passengers may be more agreeable; they want extra legroom and comforts and are willing to pay for it
- Easier to qualify for than Uber Black, a higher-priced Lyft option for riders who want a luxury car ride
Is Uber Comfort Worth It for Drivers?
Yes, if you do Uber Comfort in addition to regular Uber X rides. Per trip, you’ll earn more doing Uber Comfort but there is not enough demand for you to do only Uber Comfort rides.
Diversifying, by adding Amazon Flex or DoorDash into the mix, is also a good idea. This will ensure you can prioritize higher-paying Uber X rides but always have plenty of other trips or deliveries to make.
And also if you ever run into a snafu with your Uber account, you’ll have a back-up side hustle at the ready.
DoorDash is one of the best delivery apps because it pays a minimum rate per delivery (DoorDash will make up the difference if your pay per delivery is below their threshold!), and encourages generous tips that you keep fully.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common FAQs that readers have about Uber options.
Does UberX Mean Sharing?
It can mean sharing, but not always. If passengers want to share an UberX to get a cheaper fare, they would need to select Uber X Share or Pool. A shared Uber vehicle can be an Uber X or other type of car.
Can Uber X Fit Luggage?
Yes, you can bring luggage with you on an Uber X trip. You’ll be the only passenger in a standard Uber X ride, and the driver will likely pick up your baggage for you and put it in the trunk.
It will not have as much space, however, as an Uber Comfort or Uber XL, and bulky or oversized luggage may not fit.
Can You Pay for Uber with Cash?
Yes, you can pay for any type of Uber ride with cash. But before you request a ride, go to the “Payment” section in the app and select “Cash.” At the end of the trip, you’ll pay cash directly to your Uber driver.
What’s the Difference Between Uber Comfort and Uber XL?
Both of these are upgraded types of Uber rides that offer more comfort than a regular Uber X, but they are not the same thing. Uber Comfort specifically offers more legroom whereas an Uber XL must hold six (6) or more passengers.
Additionally, Uber Comfort has minimum requirements for driver ratings and trips completed. Uber XL is just concerned with additional passenger capacity.
Uber XL drivers, however, do earn a higher fare per trip. Rates can be 30% higher or more than Uber Comfort.