Did you know that the Global Positioning System, otherwise known as GPS, was first used by the US for military purposes?
Today, it has become an essential piece of equipment for vehicles everywhere.
One of the best ways to get to your destination safely and with little or no stress is by having a dedicated GPS for your car. No doubt there are tons of GPS’ on the market, but we’ve sorted through the variety of different devices on the marketing to figure out which GPS is the best one.
Let’s dive in!
Best GPS – Comparison and Review
The Garmin DriveSmart 51 NA LMT-S is a reliable GPS device that is perfect for daily commuters. This device is handy, and it comes with a five-inch touchscreen. It also has Bluetooth that ensure you connect with your smartphone to give you a hands-free option. This means you can get calendar reminders, read text messages, place phone calls without taking your eye off the road. The USB mass storage device features a built-in Wi-Fi which makes software and map update easy.
- Detailed traffic and travel maps
- Free lifetime update to get to your destination safe and sound
- It is compatible with Mac OS and Windows XP or newer
- The screen is responsive and fast
- The battery life only last about one hour.
2.) TomTom GO 520
If you are looking for a GPS device that does not focus on a particular region or country, TomTom GO 520 is one of the best car GPS you can go for. This device offers free downloadable world maps which give you the opportunity to use them anywhere you are located. Like other GPS, it comes with Bluetooth so you can connect with your smartphone. It has built-in Wi-Fi for updates, and the device is also available in two screen sizes – five-inch and six-inch. The product comes with a handy magnetic mount, so it is secured firmly to your car.
- It offers free lifetime traffic update
- Intelligently tweak and automatically suggests your routes
- Gives accurate traffic information at a regular interval
- Compatible with Google Now and Siri
- The product does not come with an integrated traffic receiver
This product is one of the best car GPS for a reason. Garmin Drive 50 USA LM is reliable, easy to set up, and has free lifetime map updates at an affordable price. It comes with spoken and clear turn-by-turn directions that make it easy to recognize driving directions by using traffic lights, building, and recognizable landmarks. Also, it has a five-inch touchscreen having a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels that is bright and clear. Driver alerts are also included to let you know the sudden change in speed limit, and if you are veering off the road. It also comes with a Direct Access feature that finds exactly where you need to go.
- Solid dash cam to record potential collisions
- Easier and quicker to find addresses
- It turns complex destinations to simple navigating
- Offers offline navigation and split screen
- Some users complained that the device sometimes struggles to find a location
If you are looking for the best way to avoid traffic jams, the Germin Nuvi 57LMT is one of the best car GPS that can get the job done. It comes with a Direct Access option and real-time traffic updates that provide you with simple and easy directions to locations that are popular around you. This function is complemented by the FourSquare App included in it. It is available in three styles – Base model, device with lifetime maps and device with lifetime maps and traffic. The size of the screen is five-inches for good visibility.
- It is compatible with a backup camera
- Free traffic updates and lifetime map
- Lane assists with junction view
- Onscreen warning display and audible issues alert
- It might not have a longterm durability
One of the best car GPS that can give you a high-end experience is Pioneer AVIC8201NEX. From entertainment to world-class GPS, this product has it all. The device comes with a seven-inch touchscreen for a larger and clearer display. Also, it comes with a built-in DVD player, Pandora streaming, and Sirius XM radio which keep you entertained while having easy navigation. For, iPhone users, the product features Apple Carplay when you plug your device into it.
- Premium performance with a premium price
- Precision turn-by-turn directions and world-class maps
- Remote control and voice commands for hands-free control and navigation
- It might be expensive for some users
If you are looking for a GPS with a dash cam, this product might be your best bet. The product comes with Drive Assist software that will save and send video automatically, as a link or text message if a crash is detected. It features Bluetooth that ensure you stay connected with your smartphone for hands-free control.
- Easy to follow directions
- Helpful driver alerts for speed changes, sharp curves, and animal and railroad crossing
- Compatible with Garmin wristwatch and enable navigation feedback on your wrist
- The battery life is short
If you are on a budget and wish to purchase the best car GPS, the Magellan RM6220-LM might be the perfect choice for you. It comes with a PhantomALERT Traffic Camera Alert that offers you up to date traffic report. Just like many other GPS devices, it comes with a Five-inch touchscreen that displays helpful information for navigation clearly. The product features a Built-in G-shock that saves video automatically is it detects an impact.
- Lifetime map that keeps the map updated
- Full-function GPS with dash cam recording
- 4GB micro-SD card that can record about 30 – 45 minutes video
- The windshield mount blocks part of the dash cam video recording
What Are The Key Features To Look For When Buying A Car GPS?
Essential features such as:
- Free lifetime map updates – keeps the map up-to-date every time
- High battery capacity – Keeps the device working for a longer time if you don’t plug it to a power source
- Speed limit indicator
Premium features such as:
- Voice command and dictation – for quick and easy hands-free operation
- 3D maps – for easier recognition of landmark objects
- Traffic receivers – to check surrounding traffic conditions automatically
- Screen – you should opt for a GPS device with the average of 5-inches for a readable screen. Also, it should be a capacitive touchscreen for high clarity, sensitivity, and accuracy.
- Bluetooth connectivity – to easily connect with your smartphone to receive timely traffic alert and routes and destination from your phone
There are lots of GPS choices on the market today, so it’s expected that you’ll feel a little overwhelmed when you’re shopping around.
The deadline to enroll in health insurance is Dec 15! Stride will recommend the best plan for you at the lowest possible price, in 10 minutes or less. Don’t go uninsured, enroll today!
One of the GPS we discussed above can be a perfect choice because they have the entire essential and premium features that will safely navigate you on your journeys.
- Click here to view all GPS on amazon
- Click here to view our list of other essential car accessories
- Click here to sign up to drive for uber, postmates, doordash, etc.
Latest posts by Chris Powell (see all)
- 10 Things That Food Delivery Drivers Should Have In Their Car - November 13, 2018
- Being a Bird Charger – Gear You Need To Be A Successful Charger for Bird & Lime Scooters - October 23, 2018
- Best Car Cleaning Products According To Uber Drivers - June 30, 2018