I talk to a lot of people who are interested in starting their own companies: rideshare, shared fleets, scooters and more. One thing they’re always surprised by? The enormous cost of insurance. In this episode, I talk to Ed Walker about the impact of insurance costs on fleet owners, how telematics can help, and more.
Burnt Out Talking To Passengers? Deliver Food With Uber Eats!
Discover a more flexible way to earn money when you want, around your studies, family, and other commitments. Choose your own hours and become your own boss. Deliver only when it suits you. Deliver with Uber Eats using your car, motorbike, scooter or bicycle.
Click here to sign up and get started today.
Get started as a gig worker today! Learn more:
- Is driving for Doordash worth it?
- Postmates Driver Pay
- Instacart Shopper Pay
- Uber Eats Driver Review
- Best food delivery service to work for
- Rideshare insurance
Shout out to another mobility podcast – The Movement Podcast, hosted by Josh Cohen. I’ve been on the podcast before and am a huge fan. I enjoy the topics he delves into, including equitable access, sustainable cities, and more. If you want a podcast that delves into the hard problems mobility is trying to solve, you’ll want to give The Movement Podcast a download and listen!
Intro to Ed Walker
- Second time on the podcast!
- Vice President at USI Insurance Services
- Goal is to ease the burden of insurance on mobility operators
- He is THE guy to talk to about all things shared insurance!
Fleets + Insurance Costs
- The more vehicles a fleet owner has, the more important it is to get away from the a la carte model
- Traditional insurance carriers have a lot of barriers
- Working with USI, there’s a greater ability to get those prices down
Most Expensive Part of Being a Fleet Owner
- Premiums – the total cost of risk
- Lack of control really drives up the price
- Drivers are not employees – leads to unpredictability
Telematics + Fleet Ownership
- Telematics – shows where vehicles are, how they’re driving, etc.
- The best companies have a dashboard that tracks this info
- Argyle is doing a better job than most in identifying rideshare periods
Future of Telematics + Insurance
- A lot of carriers will provide what seems to be cost-competitive quotes, but there are redundancies
- Those costs add up
- There are ways to drivers to prevent accidents – telematics can help
- Thanks to Ed for coming on the show and sharing his opinion on the fleet space!
- I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately about fleet ownership and wanted to address the cost factors – Ed helped break it down for us!
- RSG139: Ed Walker on Managing Insurance for Shared Mobility Operators
- The Movement Podcast
- RSG156: What it’s Like to Operate a Fleet of Tesla Taxis and Rideshare EVs
- RSG016: How To Profit From Your Car Without Actually Driving
- RSG158: How Argyle is Helping Unlock Employment Data for Gig Workers
- Connect with Ed:
Email – Edward.Walker@USI.com
LinkedIn – Edward B Walker II