Recently, I traveled up to San Francisco to interview Lyft’s co-founder and President, John Zimmer – yes, an in-person interview! This is a great episode you can’t miss, and we cover a lot of the questions you shared with me on our RSG Facebook page. We talked about the beginning of Lyft, John’s experience as a driver (yes, he drives every New Year’s Eve!), driver perception of Lyft, and driver earnings.
You can also watch this interview on the RSG YouTube channel here!:
Intro to John Zimmer
- Co-founder and President of Lyft
- Started Lyft just about 10 years ago
- Driver events and groups – lots of community
- Original premise was “driving around your friends”
Improving the Driver Experience
- Upfront pay
- Long trip bonus
- Lyft’s responsibility to make all trips worthwhile
- Driver access to Lyft Pink
Simplicity vs. Driver Wants
- Building incentives into pay
- Don’t have to think about Streaks, etc. – already included
- Lyft needs to pay the right amount for the right ride
- Lyft needs to design with trust
- Many new services coming to Lyft for passengers
- Will bring more demand to Lyft that benefits drivers
- Delivery? Delivery for businesses – not consumers
What’s Lyft Up to Now?
- Pandemic was difficult!
- Now able to focus on things more meaningful to drivers
- Can do a better job of communicating to drivers, but delivering is the key