Best Gig Jobs to Sign Up For
This page contains references to codes and links that earn The Rideshare Guy a commission when used.
If you’re looking for…
The best gig job, then that means you’re interested in becoming self-employed and being in control of your own schedule.
Well, if a flexible schedule is what you desire, then we have good news for you. The gig economy is booming, and gig companies are hiring like crazy. And with this hiring spree comes some very generous sign-up bonuses.
New: Instacart says it is looking to hire 300,000 full-service shoppers over the next three months to meet surging demand for grocery deliveries as millions of people are urged to stay home to limit the spread of coronavirus:https://t.co/ifkHok1AQY
— sara ashley o’brien (@saraashleyo) March 23, 2020
Below I’ve listed all of the best gig jobs that include new driver incentives, sign up bonuses, promo codes, referral codes, and invite codes for the best gig economy jobs to sign up for, and much more.
- Part I. Delivery with DoorDash, Uber Eats, Postmates, Instacart, and/or Caviar
- Part II Ridesharing with Uber, Lyft, and Via
- Part III Best Jobs Referring Cash Back Apps
- Part IV Work from Home Gig Jobs
Part I) Best Food Delivery Gig Jobs: DoorDash, Uber Eats, Postmates, Instacart, or Caviar
Instacart is currently the best choice if you’re looking for a gig economy job.
Our reader Chris in Minneapolis says he’s averaging at least $25 per hour with Instacart as a shopper and driver, or what they call “Full Service.” He made a remarkable $2,190 in one week with Instacart.
I don’t know for how long that kind of gig job revenue is sustainable, but clearly during this crisis people are ordering an insane amount of groceries online. That means there’s an abundance of good gig work for Instacart hustlers.
You’ll delivery groceries from supermarkets like Costco, Kroger, Publix, Aldi, and more.
As you see above in his screenshot, Chris made $2,190 in a 59-hour workweek. That’s $37 per hour.
With Instacart, your gig job involves delivering groceries. But if you don’t have a car, you can just pick and pack groceries and someone else will deliver them. Instacart is currently hiring like crazy!
Each shift involves fewer but more detailed orders than what you’d see for other meal delivery services.
Chris shared his top 2 Instacart insider secrets with us:
1 – Keep it close. “If I have an order that comes up and the delivery is 8 miles or more, I don’t take that job.”
2 – Focus on only a few stores. Get to know their layout so you’re faster. “When you first start, pick a couple of stores around your home. Do orders at those stores first because then you’ll know the layout of the store really well. “
Take a look at this video, too, where we share even more tips on how to earn more with Instacart:
Instacart is one of the most popular grocery delivery apps, and they rely on everyday people like you and me to operate. Instacart hires in-store shoppers who grab customer’s items off the shelves and deliver the items off to a person’s home.
One thing I really like about Instacart is the app automatically inserts a tip for you! Of course your customer can change it, but it sets the expectation that yes, you deserve a tip!
Instacart is one of the best gig jobs because it’s a flexible way to earn extra money. You can choose your own schedule and get paid weekly.
Here’s a quick recap of what you can expect as an Instacart courier:
- We’re currently seeing pay rates of $20 to $25 per hour with tips
- Three main driver expenses: gas, auto insurance, car maintenance
- #1 tip to earn more as an Instacart shopper? Shop during peak hours!
- Sign up to become an Instacart shopper here
- Wait for your Instacart card to arrive before shopping – especially for new drivers, don’t pay out of pocket! Instacart shopper Kristin says Instacart is having a hard time keeping up with customer service, so it’s better to wait for your Instacart pre-paid card to arrive than pay out of pocket.
- Decline unprofitable orders – Kristin recommends accepting orders that you know you can accomplish fairly quickly – for example, if there’s a request for 10+ common items you know really well, you can probably complete that grocery trip quickly and keep moving. If it’s an order for 10+ items you’re not familiar with, this will slow you down and bring down your income.
- Try to resolve problems with the customer vs Instacart – If you can’t complete a batch, or have questions about substitutions, try to work it through the customer side of the app first. Instacart is notoriously slow, which will slow you down and decrease earnings. Complete your batches and deliveries, then work on getting through to Instacart.
Not sure how to sign up for Instacart? We walk you through it in this video below:
DoorDash is still one of the best gig jobs to earn money on the side. Drivers with DoorDash can earn $15 an hour.
Ziprecruiter (a well-known employment site) is saying DoorDash drivers earn about $36,000 per year when going full-time.
DoorDash touts, “clear and concise pay model lets you know how much you will make before accepting any order.” That’s important if you want to be efficient and only accept gigs you actually want. That is a main benefit of these jobs — turning down the gigs you do NOT want!
You do NOT need a car to qualify for DoorDash. You can deliver on scooter or bicycle.
DoorDash is exclusively focused on food delivery and provides a relatively predictable restaurant to home to different restaurant to different home delivery experience. Click here to get started delivering for DoorDash using our affiliate link.
With DoorDash you can expect to deliver food from The Cheesecake Factory, Chipotle, Chili’s, Red Lobster, and many more, including your locally-owned restaurants that really need the help right now.
Read our DoorDash tips and tricks guide for more info.
DoorDash driving requirements are typically easier than driving for rideshare. All you need to drive for DoorDash is:
- 18 years old or older
- Any car, scooter or bicycle will do
- Driver’s license
- Social Security number (to get paid)
- Background check
DoorDasher pay can vary depending on where you Dash and how busy your market is, but with over 4,000 cities in all 50 US states, including DC and Puerto Rico, chances are people in your market know about DoorDash!
Learn more about the DoorDash app and how it works for couriers here:
Want a little more variety? Postmates is one of the best gig jobs that offers restaurant delivery as well as a handful of non-food retailers, like Best Buy and Walgreens. You may deliver spicy food, and a few hours later, deliver antacids to the same address.
Postmates couriers can earn $20+ an hour! Learn more about working for Postmates as a Postmates driver.
Earning are pretty straightforward with Postmates:
The earnings for each delivery include:
- An amount for each completed pick-up [the amounts depend on the city you drive in!]
- An amount for each completed drop-off
- A per-minute-waited rate for the time you spend at the pick-up location
- A per-mile rate for the distance between the pick-up and drop-off locations
- 100% of the tips you earn!
Postmates does also offer bonuses! Use this Postmates affiliate referral code to start delivering with Postmates. The sign up bonus for Postmates can go up to $200, but only if you use referral code.
Not sure which to choose between Postmates vs DoorDash? Read our Postmates vs Doordash review.
Basically, sign up for DoorDash if you’re looking for an easy-to-use app right away. However, Postmates may be more lucrative, especially since DoorDash has implemented new earnings changes.
Sign up for Postmates, especially if Postmates is more prevalent in your city!
Check out the video below on how to use the Postmates app most effectively:
- Drive during lunch and dinner hours – these are considered ‘peak hours’ for Postmates orders
- Incentives and tips make a huge difference in earnings, like Blitz pricing
- Take multiple requests! Stack requests, especially if the deliveries are close by
4) Uber Eats
Tired of delivering people? Deliver food! Uber Eats is the meal delivery gig job version of Uber. This service also has a sole focus on food delivery, just like Doordash.
Uber Eats drivers can earn $20 an hour!
The sign up bonus for Uber Eats can vary. Many drivers have found UberEats to be very profitable.
Here are our top tips for earning more as an Uber Eats driver:
- Drive for multiple companies – you can earn more per hour by signing up and driving for multiple food delivery apps. Take the requests that will pay you the most in the shortest amount of time.
- If Uber Eats offers you any promotions, pay attention to them and make sure you hit the requirements to get the additional cash!
- Always text your customer and let them know if their meal is late, needs substitutions, or if you’re on your way there! From our experience, being communicative with customers leads to bigger tips
Signing up to drive with Uber Eats is easy! Take a look at this getting started with Uber Eats video below:
Learn more about planning your Uber Eats strategy here, too, where we cover things like:
- Pick up strategies
- Accepting requests
- Stacked orders
The best part of Uber Eats? It’s basically every where – except for Antarctica. Signing up for Uber Eats is also really simple, and extra simple if you’re already an Uber driver. You can drive for Uber and Uber Eats at the same time, too, making it easy to earn money the whole day you’re out driving.
Known for its flexible work schedule and the ability to pick and choose which deliveries you take, Caviar is a food delivery app in more than a dozen major cities throughout the US.
Caviar drivers can make $20 an hour!
Caviar is one of the best gig jobs that allows you to even use your bike if you want and get paid instantly.
Our top Caviar driver tips:
- Caviar typically serves higher-end restaurants – meaning orders will be more expensive and potentially with better tips
- Expect to earn $20-22 per hour
- Caviar is available in a variety of cities, including Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, LA, Manhattan, Portland, San Diego, Seattle and DC
Signing up with Caviar is easy, although you will want to sign up for a few other delivery companies since Caviar might not be busy every hour. After all, it is typically higher-end food – and most people aren’t ordering high end every day!
As with all of the delivery companies mentioned, the faster you can get to your order and can drop it off, the more money you earn. You don’t get paid extra for taking longer, so keep an eye out for requests that are nearby you and don’t have far to drive.
Caviar also has one of the best customer service responses we’ve found so far, too, so if you do have issues, they should be resolved quickly within the Caviar app.
What’s the best food delivery app to work for?
Read more on this topic at the following articles:
Not sure which delivery app you should drive for? Take a look at this video, where RSG contributor Elijah shares what he’s learned in five years of delivering for most of the above-mentioned delivery companies!
Part II) Best Rideshare Gig Jobs: Uber, Lyft, and Via
Click here to Sign Up for Uber using our affiliate link.
Uber Guaranteed Earnings
Uber is still one of the best gig jobs to sign up for. Uber’s new driver sign up bonus, more commonly known as Uber guaranteed earnings, is a promotion that guarantees you to earn a certain amount once you’ve completed the required number of trips. Learn more here.
For Uber, this is how the process might be in your city: sign up with this referral code, then get an email from Uber saying you’re guaranteed to earn $500 once you’ve completed 100 rides. This means no matter what, once you’ve given 100 rides, you will make $500.
You could either make $500 by giving those 100 rides, or you could make $300 giving 100 rides and Uber gives you an additional $200 to get you up to $500. If you don’t give the required number of rides, you won’t get the guaranteed bonus. If you make more than $500 giving 100 rides, Uber won’t give you any extra money.
Retroactive Uber Referral Code
Uber does allow for retroactive referrals within 15 days of activation so if you didn’t sign up with a referral code, you can contact Uber through the driver app to get it added. Go to Account -> Help -> Payments and Rewards -> Driver Referrals -> Report a missing driver referral. Uber may ask for:
- Name: Harry Campbell
- Uber e-mail: [email protected]
- Uber phone #: 310-428-2765
Or contact Uber and let them know you signed up but forgot to enter my code (3e3dg) and wanted to confirm the bonus. Please e-mail me if you have any questions about the process. I want to ensure that you get signed up successfully.
Driving for Uber is very straightforward, and we even have a handy video for new Uber drivers here:
1) Uber Driver Age Requirements
- In order to drive with Uber, you must be 21 years of age or older AND have 3 years of US driving experience.
- Or you can be 23 years of age or older with 1 or more years of US driving experience.
2) Other Uber Driver Requirements
- You must have an in-state driver’s license in order to drive with Uber
- You need to have in-state personal auto insurance AND your name must be listed on the insurance card
- Much safer and smarter than personal insurance is commercial auto insurance for Rideshare drivers
- Your car needs to be registered in-state but it does not need to have your name on it
You can learn more about Uber driver requirements here.
Looking for tips for new drivers? Here’s how to make more money with Uber.
If you’re unsure whether a better gig job is to drive for Lyft or Uber first, we recommend signing up for Lyft first, then signing up for Uber.
Click here to sign up for Lyft using our affiliate link.
Here’s How to Drive for Lyft:
If you want to get your new Lyft guaranteed earnings, you can get started by signing up using this referral link. Lyft guaranteed earnings go all the way up to $1,000 but you can only get it if you use a referral link like this one (note: Lyft does not offer bonuses, only earnings guarantees). If you’re curious, you can contact Lyft to find out what the current guarantee is, but once you sign up for Lyft you’ll get a confirmation e-mail with the guarantee amount and terms.
How the Lyft Earnings Guarantee Works:
Lyft recently changed its sign up earnings structure so that new Lyft drivers can earn on a per-ride basis vs. an all-or-nothing structure. In other words, you’ll receive a few extra dollars for every ride you complete in your first month, up to a certain amount. This is called an ‘earnings guarantee’ or ‘guaranteed earnings’.
This change means that new drivers will earn their bonuses incrementally, instead of in an all-or-nothing structure. And these per ride bonuses are on top of your ride earnings.
More importantly, let’s say you’re only able to accomplish 90% of your “required rides” guarantee. Does this mean you get nothing? Not with Lyft! With Lyft, you’ll still be paid 90% of the bonus offered in your city. That way you still get something extra for all the work you put in.
Lyft Retroactive Referral Code
Unfortunately, there is not a way to retroactively add a referral code to Lyft like you can with Uber. You need to sign up with someone’s code/link the first time in order to get a guarantee. I know…annoying.
Getting started with Lyft and using the Lyft driver app is easy! Take a look at our tutorial video below:
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or older
- Applicants must have had a valid driver’s license for at least 1 year
- Clean Driving Record
- Pass a criminal background check
- Be insured on the vehicle you intend to drive
You can learn more about Lyft driver and vehicle requirements here.
Looking for tips for new drivers? Here’s how to make more money with Lyft.
As of April 1, 2019, Uber is not accepting new drivers in New York City, partly due to new TLC regulations.
You can use Via to drive in New York City and other cities nationwide.
Driving for Via is pretty efficient. It’s one of the best gig jobs where you get paid to shuttle multiple passengers on predetermined popular routes. So you only stop to pick-up and drop-off on specific corners. These shared rides pay well.
According to our article on Via:
Via allows many drivers to choose between hourly pay or a per-trip pay model. We’ve found that Via driver earn more than other drivers in New York City.A lot of former Uber drivers are finding they enjoy Via’s model for a few good reasons. For starters, Via allows many drivers to choose between hourly pay (aka Blue Mode) and per-trip pay (known as Online or Flex Mode).
Drivers are also rewarded for doing shared rides instead of being punished with a lower rate of pay like on UberPOOL. On top of all of this, Via charges a much lower (and fixed) commission rate. All of these things contribute to something important: Via drivers earn more net than any other drivers in NYC.
However, it’s not just in NYC where Via is available! You can also drive for Via in these cities:
- Arlington, TX
- New Jersey
Learn more about how to become a Via driver here.
Part III) Best Cash Back Apps
In these uncertain economic times, it’s smart to save money where ever you can. That’s why cash back apps like GetUpside, which help you find the best gas deals near you, are so popular. GetUpside is the best gas cashback app that I’ve been able to find. It’s completely free to use and this app can help you save money on every gallon of gas you buy.
When you open the GetUpside app, on the home screen you’ll see a map that shows you all of the local businesses in your area that are offering great deals. The app works because businesses get more customers in the door, and you (the customer) get cash back on all the gas and food you buy. So it’s a win-win for everyone.
Use GetUpside to not only save up to 25¢ per gallon on every gallon of gas that you buy (results vary by location), but also:
- a 15¢ per gallon sign up bonus.
- up to 15% cash back on groceries.
- and up to 35% cash back at restaurants.
- all when you use this referral link.
Other Cash Back Apps
Not only will these best cash back apps save you money on purchases you make, they also pay referral bonuses every time you get a passenger to sign up for them!
- Ibotta: one of the more popular cashback apps – fun to try. Gets you cash back at over 300 major stores like Walmart and Target.
- Fetch Rewards: cash back at any store that sells groceries, even convenience stores.
- GetUpside app: Same app that I mentioned under “Gas” above. It’s the best gas cashback app on the market today.
- Freebird app: cashback on Uber and Lyft rides, for Uber and Lyft passengers.
- Rakuten: cashback when you shop online or in-store at 1000s of stores including Amazon, Target, and Kohl’s.
Rakuten is one of our favorite cashback apps simply because it’s so easy to use – use Rakuten in store or online and get cash back, plus discounts and other incentives.
Rakuten is a free reward program that gives customers cash back, coupons and other deals on online and in-store purchases. Deals change daily, so if you see an awesome discount, take it before it’s gone!
The sign-up process is super simple, and you can sign up using our Rakuten referral link here.
It’s basically just like signing up for any other website. You provide your email address and create a password. You don’t provide any payment information because you do not pay through Rakuten, but through the website you’re actually making the purchase through.
Right now, it makes a ton of sense to refer Rakuten to your passengers and customers you’re delivering to. If people are ordering online (which they are right now!) there’s cash back for almost every online store (including Amazon!). Make sure to sign up for Rakuten and get started referring it today.
Use your Rakuten referral link with your passengers/customers, encourage them to sign up and get $25 per person who signs up and uses Rakuten! We’ve made it even easier for you – here are Rakuten referral cards to help you earn $25 per sign up!
Helpful tip: Leave your Rakuten referral card when you deliver food or groceries for people to use! It will help them save money on future orders and earn you a referral bonus.
Rakuten is not a scam – it really gives you cash back when you shop (look at the image above – Scott has already made $400 from Rakuten!). And with thousands of stores to choose from, including many stores that rideshare drivers typically use, it’s a no-brainer to sign up for Rakuten, use it yourself, and recommend it to your passengers.
- Free Wingz credit for new passengers (airport transportation).
- Free Uber credit for new passengers.
- Free Lyft credit for new passengers.
- Free Bird Scooters credit for new riders.
Home cleaning, chores, etc.
Food & Shopping
- Free Doordash credit for new customers.
- Free Instacart credit for grocery delivery.
- Free Uber Eats credit for new customers.
- Free Grubhub credit for new customers.
⭐️Click here to see a full list of all the free credits and promo codes available.
Part IV) Work from Home Gig Jobs
Need to work from home and have a good Internet connection? Then these jobs might be perfect for you!
Are you great at creating things, like logos or writing articles? Do you write and record jingles? Have a great voice and want to get started in voiceover work? Awesome at Instagram and Pinterest?
You can advertise all of those skills and so much more with Fiverr! Seriously, I’ve seen people offer tarot card readings, genealogy research, and so much more. Get creative and think outside the box – there are people out there who will pay you for your creativity!
Thumbtack helps connect local professionals (that’s you!) with customers. If you have a skill like electrical or wiring repair, massage therapy, house cleaning and so much more, sign up for Thumbtack and set your own rates!
Best of all – you really just need to be mildly handy to get started on Thumbtack. You can offer your skills putting together IKEA furniture, painting, hoisting TVs onto mounted frames and more. Not exactly professional work, but you’d be surprised what people need help with, so if you can do it, why not sign up and get started with Thumbtack here?
3) Surveys through Swagbucks
Swagbucks is a win-win on two levels: one, it offers discounts and points for shopping online (which you then can redeem for gift cards!) and you can earn more points by taking surveys and watching videos online!
Just for signing up, you’ll get a $10 bonus, which you can redeem for gift cards or even cash out through PayPal. To earn points, shop online, watch videos, search the web, and answer surveys.
Best of all, for every person you refer to Swagbucks, you’ll earn points and you’ll continue to earn points as they earn points!
I don’t use Swagbucks as much as I used to, but even I’m regularly able to cash out a few hundred dollars over the course of the year. And that’s with doing very little on Swagbucks other than recommending it to other people!
4) Toluna Influencers
Do you like giving your opinions on everything from food to products, services, and even pet care? If so, then Toluna Influencers is for you!
Give your opinion on some of the world’s largest brands, including Kellogg’s, CBS, Amazon, Expedia and more. You can also leave reviews of products you buy and complete surveys to earn more.
When you first sign up, you’ll immediately earn 500 points. Points can be redeemed for cash (PayPal), Amazon gift cards, Starbucks, PetCo and more.
5) Mechanical Turk
Have you ever heard of Human Intelligence Tasks (HIT)? They’re tasks that can’t be replicated by robots – and that’s where you come in!
Get paid to do HITs on all kinds of assignments, from image and video processing, data verification and Excel sheets clean up, to writing and research. The sky is the limit on the type of tasks on Mechanical Turk, and pay increases for task difficulty.
If you’re good at getting work done quickly and efficiently and have some skills in Excel, Word, or research, Mechanical Turk is an excellent option for you! Get started with the Mechanical Turk program here.
6) Teach English Online
Online jobs are heating up right now, and with good reason. It’s one of the only ways to safely earn money now, and it doesn’t look like online jobs are going away any time soon.
Sign up for a program like Education First (EF), where you’ll teach English online to kids around the world, earning $20+ depending on your skills and availability.
What is a gig job? What are gig economy jobs?
A gig job is a flexible job for independent contractors or freelancers. A great example of a gig job is an Uber or Lyft driver, Instacart courier, freelance writer, freelance graphic designer – even an independent contractor who teaches English online can be a gig worker with a gig job.
Gig economy jobs are like the ones listed below: jobs in delivery, transportation, work from home and more.
What’s the best paying gig job?
The best paying gig job on this list right now is Instacart. Instacart is hiring like crazy and people now more than ever are ordering groceries online. In our opinion, you should sign up with Instacart first and follow up with the gig jobs listed below.
How do I get a gig economy job?
Getting a gig economy job is actually pretty easy! For most of the gig economy jobs listed below, you’ll download the app or fill out a form online. For some jobs, like Instacart, you’ll want to wait for your pre-paid card to arrive before you can start shopping. For Uber and Lyft, for example, you’ll also need to wait for a background check to be processed before you’re approved.
Overall, it shouldn’t take more than a few days to get started with a gig economy job!
- How to rent a car for a gig driving job.
- How to make more money as an Uber or Lyft driver.
- If you’d like help with your gig job’s taxes, we recommend using the Stride Tax software.
- Read our Essential gear for Uber and Lyft drivers guide for ideas on gear and gadgets you might need while driving.
- Must have apps for Uber and Lyft Drivers
- Best mileage tracking apps to track mileage for tax deductions
- Best rideshare insurance options for rideshare drivers
- More resources for Uber and Lyft Drivers
Learn about the book I wrote, The Rideshare Guide: Everything You Need to Know about Driving for Uber, Lyft, and Other Companies.