I recently listened to an interview on the Pivot Schooled podcast with Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi – it was a very good interview! Today’s episode is going to be a little different – I’m going to play parts of the Pivot Schooled podcast and provide my comments. Hopefully, you like this different format – let me know either way!
Earn up to $25 an Hour with Instacart!Instacart is hiring like crazy right now and offering many perks to drivers, including no under 5 star ratings and more. Sign up here.
Get started as a gig worker today! Learn more:
- Is driving for Doordash worth it?
- Postmates Driver Pay
- Instacart Shopper Pay
- Uber Eats Driver Review
- Best food delivery service to work for
- Rideshare insurance
Check out this episode’s sponsor, Kover. Get benefits as a gig worker, like income guarantees, sick leave, accident protection, legal assistance and more. They’ll also help you out if you get deactivated and have plans that start at just $7 a month. Use our link here to get your first month with Kover free!
Intro to This Episode
- Scott from Pivot Schooled is not a fan of the gig economy!
- How could this go?
- This was a combo interview – previous interview also commented on gig economy
- This episode was recorded pre-Uber potential shutdown in California
How Do Drivers Feel About AB5?
- Some people prefer to pretend drivers don’t understand questions about AB5
- Those questions are simple – do you want to be an employee or IC?
- Don’t pretend like the drivers ‘don’t understand’
- Govt bailed out gig workers – drivers aren’t seeing the flaws of the gig economy
Income Inequality and Uber
- Scott’s figures for driver income sounds about right – there is variability though
- Total agreement on this point – in the real world, employee-jobs don’t offer a ton of flexibility
- Dara knows a lot about the driver experience
- Uber and Lyft have known since January that they need to classify drivers as employees
- Didn’t have to happen like this, even though Uber/Lyft did get a stay
- Doesn’t agree when Uber says things like this, or ‘the market sets the rate’ – not quite true
Acquisitions & Reader Questions
- Discusses Postmates acquisition and, in general, profitability of delivery
- Driverless cars? Very hard tech to build
- Dara might be saying they messed up – there’s no way this is close
- 3-5 years until you begin to see anything even basic
- Fun format – thanks for sticking around and taking a listen!
- What do you think of the format of this episode? Like it or not? Let me know!
- Pivot Schooled #3: The Sharing Capitalists, with Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi and Gig Workers Collective co-founder Vanessa Bain (SPOTIFY)
- Pivot Schooled #3: The Sharing Capitalists, with Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi and Gig Workers Collective co-founder Vanessa Bain (APPLE)
- RSG140: Dara Khosrowshahi on Uber’s Third Way