In this episode, we’re going to be talking to Joel Milne all about car repair and maintenance at your home. I love studying on-demand businesses because there’s a lot of innovation going on. RepairSmith is no different in that aspect!
Want More Tips? Deliver With DoorDashDashers receive tips on 97% of their deliveries. DoorDash has a tip button and encourages customers to setup "automatic" tips. Become a dasher here.
Get started as a gig worker today! Learn more:
- Is driving for Doordash worth it?
- Postmates Driver Pay
- Instacart Shopper Pay
- Uber Eats Driver Review
- Best food delivery service to work for - Rideshare insurance
Looking for rideshare insurance for your rideshare business? Contact Ed Walker, insurance policy expert. Ed helps startup transportation and micromobility companies create custom insurance policies.
Intro to Joel Milne
- Joel is a serial tech entrepreneur
- Previously co-founded 4 start ups
- Now founder of RepairSmith
- First company in the automotive space
What is RepairSmith?
- Most convenient (and now safe) form of car repair because it comes to you
- Pandemic hasn’t really had a material effect on the business
- Launched in August 2019
- A lot of people like RepairSmith because they appreciate the mobility, trustworthiness, transparency
RepairSmith vs Traditional Repair Shops
- Cost – try to beat the average cost structure in each city
- Don’t have the same rent costs as big shops
- High quality repair
- Biggest cost for RepairSmith – labor
Tips for Vehicle Owners & Drivers
- Vehicle maintenance is the key to having a long lasting, healthy car
- RepairSmith works with a lot of fleets – take care of your car now to prevent expensive maintenance down the road
- Oil, tires, brakes, and filters – stay on top of it!
- Ever more important as the car gets older, especially if you haven’t been maintaining it
- All employees, no contractors
- Didn’t feel they could get the quality with the contractor model
- Legality questions as well!
- They’re also working in tech, using Slack, etc.
Competition in the Space
- Traditional competition, of course – thousands of places to have your car fixed
- Similar companies to RepairSmith, including the mobility options
- Tackling a different solution
- Competition for good mechanics is high
Future of RepairSmith
- Small player in a big industry – think they have a better mousetrap for consumers and fleets
- Looking to grow in those markets but also across the country
- Favorite stage of the business
- Thanks to Joel for coming on and talking about RepairSmith!
- Interesting company in the midst of a pandemic – COVID is accelerating these trends
- Featured B2B Partner: Ed Walker
- Check out our review of RepairSmith here
- RSG139: Ed Walker on Managing Insurance for Shared Mobility Operators
- Contact Ed via phone (847) 436-4072
- Via email [email protected]
- Via LinkedIn Edward B Walker II